10 Foods You Should Never Feed Your Dog

Delicious-Variation-Gum-Refreshment-Candy-Food-3088538

When it comes to dog owners, there is almost no higher priority than the safety of their pups. They aren’t known as “man’s best friend” for nothing, after all. However, there are many common foods found in kitchens across the country that people do not recognize as a risk to their pets. And while some dogs are well trained and stay away from their human’s food, many are sneaky and will try to steal bites when and where they can. For these mischievous pups, and for owner’s who like to willingly share their dinners, this list of ten foods you should never feed your dog may be the key to keeping your pups alive and healthy!

10. Avocado

Source: Wikimedia

The most dangerous part of this delicious food is undoubtedly the slippery inner pit. Not only is it a choking hazard, but it is full of a chemical called persin. This substance can cause diarrhea, vomiting and heart congestion, which is something no owner wants for their pup. Be sure to keep your avocados safely stored for a dog friendly home.

9. Grapes/Raisins

Source: Wikimedia

Even a small dose of grapes or raisins can be devastating for your dog’s health. The small fruit can easily cause kidney failure and end up with your furry friend undergoing dialysis. Early signs of renal failure can be vomiting and low energy, so be sure to monitor closely and contact your vet if you suspect your dog has been snacking on this dangerous food.

8. Chocolate

Source: Wikimedia

Most pet owners know to keep their yummy chocolate away from their pups. This candy can be lethal to dogs, and will cause vomiting, diarrhea, tremors, increased urination, elevated heart rate, and possibly seizures. The dangerous substance in chocolate is called theobromine, and levels of the chemical are determined by the color of the candy – for example, the darker the chocolate, the higher the risk of death.

7. Macadamia Nuts

Source: Wikimedia

It is undetermined what it is about macadamia nuts that is poisonous to dogs, but vets agree that they are indeed unhealthy. Symptoms can include depression, vomiting, weakness, joint or muscle pain, gait, swelling of joints, paralysis, and even death. In addition, the high fat content can lead to upset stomachs. Even a small amount of this toxic nut should be avoided.

6. Garlic/Onions

Source: publicdomainpictures

While both of these foods are extremely common in human dishes, they contain disulfides and sulfoxides which cause anemia and damage red blood cells in our pups. All forms of these foods (dry, raw, cooked, powdered, etc.) should be avoided. Symptoms can include weakness and depression, and may not appear for days after consumption.

5. Cooked Bones

Source: Wikimedia

While gnawing on raw bones is good for your dogs teeth and overall nutrition, feeding them cooked bones can prove to be the opposite. Once bones are cooked, they become brittle and are more likely to dangerously splinter. When it comes to cooked bones, the worst case scenarios are broken teeth and blockages of intestinal tracts.

4. Xylitol

Source: Maxpixel

Xylitol, a sweetener that can be found in sugar-free candies, gums, and pastries, is extremely toxic to dogs even in tiny doses. If your dog ingests any of this substance, they are likely to experience insulin spikes, seizures, low blood sugar, liver failure and even death. If you have a nosy dog, be sure to keep your candy and gums safely tucked away!

3. Caffeine

Source: Wikimedia

Caffeine in any form, such as coffee, tea, and chocolate, can be extremely harmful to your pets. In as quickly as an hour or two after ingestion, your pup could experience hyperactivity, vomiting, elevated heart rate and blood pressure, tremors, seizures, and in a worst case scenario – even death. Caffeine is a stimulant that drastically effects the central nervous system and heart functions.

2. Alcohol

Source: Pixabay

While you may think it sounds fun to drink with your furry buddy, alcohol is not safe to feed to your pet. Like humans, it can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and alcohol poisoning, but more seriously it can also cause depression of the central nervous system, comas, and even death. The effects of alcohol are extremely more potent for smaller animals. Stick to drinking with your human friends for the safety of your pup!

1. Salt

Source: Pexels

Sharing your favorite salty snacks with your dog is not the best idea. High salt intake in your dog can lead to sodium ion poisoning. Symptoms of this are vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, and tremors. Potato chips, pretzels, and popcorn should never be fed to your dog, and leaving snacks unattended can be a dangerous mistake.

Your dog is dependent on you for a healthy and active lifestyle, so having all the information is important. The easiest way to keep your pup healthy is sticking to food and treats that are specifically intended for canine consumption. When eating your own human meals, you will need to fight the urge to feed your dog – no matter how cute they may look as they beg from below the table. It simply isn’t worth the risk.

Comments