Aging does provide some advantages. Chief among them is the ability to save money. Many establishments have discounts for senior citizens. Some of them you have to be age 65 to receive, others you can get as young as age 50.
Here we have a wide range of discounts, grouped into categories. Within each category are some specific discounts, and where you can find them.
5. Travel & Entertainment discounts
These discounts will help you get where you want to go – and do what you want to do – for less.
- Cruises – Companies like Carnival Cruises and Royal Caribbean, offering exclusive deals to citizens over the age of 55. You will be able to get a cruise deal anywhere in the world. Keep in mind that not all cruises have discounts, so it is best to check with the specific cruise company.
- Flights – If you are thinking of traveling somewhere further from home, you might need to know that you can get senior discounts from airlines too.
- Southwest Airlines will charge retirees at cheaper senior rates, just show proof of age when you are booking.
- United Airlines offers senior fares to selected travel destinations for passengers who are 65 and older. Select the seniors (age 65 and older) category when you make your booking.
- American Airlines offers discounts if you contact them by phone.
- Hotels – Keep in mind that discounts may vary and change without notice.
- Marriott – 15% discount (62+). You can book online or call and ask for the senior discount
- Red Roof Inn – “senior rate” when you book online, may not be available for all locations
- Choice Hotels – 10% discount if you book in advance (60+)
- Hyatt Hotels – up to 50% off in participating locations. Advance reservation for two people (60+)
- La Quinta – varying offers at participating locations (65+). Ask for senior discounts
- Omni Hotels – varying offers at participating locations (55+)
- Motel 6 – 10% discount (60+). Call and book over the phone in order to get a discount
- Wyndham Hotels – varying offers at participating locations (60+)
- Hampton Inns & Suites – 10% off when booked 72 hours in advance
- Museums – Museums are a great way to spend time with your loved ones, so why not get discounts on those museum tickets. Most museums offer reduced ticket prices for senior citizens; for example, the Natural History Museum of Los Angeles offers a 25% discount for senior citizens.
- Movies – AMC Theaters (30% discount to over 60s) and Regal Cinemas (35% off if you are 60 and over) have excellent senior discount programs.
4. Shopping & Dining discounts
There are numerous senior discounts at restaurants and shopping establishments.
- Restaurant discounts – This is really just a partial list:
- McDonald’s: discounts on coffee and beverages (55+)
- Whataburger: free drink with purchase of a meal, depending on location (55+)
- Wendy’s: give free coffee or other discounts depending on location
- IHOP – 10% discount (55+) and a menu for people aged 55 and over at participating locations
- Golden Corral: Senior discount varies by location
- Perkins Restaurants: Fifty-Five Plus menu Offers special deals (55+)
- Subway: 10% off (60+) varies by location
- The Old Spaghetti Factory: Spaghetti Factory “Senior Menu” offers a discounted list of menu items
- Uno Pizzeria & Grill: “Double Nickel Club” 25% off on Wednesday (55+)
- Sizzler: Offers “Honored Guest Menu” (60+) varies by location
- Papa John’s Senior Discount: check with your local stores (no standard senior discount policy)
- Old Country Buffet: Daily discounts for seniors (55+)
- Fazoli’s: Join “Club 62” for special senior menu items (62+)
- KFC: free small drink with any meal depending on location (55+)
- Country Kitchen: Great Senior Menu (55+)
- Burger King: 10% discount on purchase depending on location (60+)
- Long John Silver’s: 10% discount or discounted beverage (55+)
- El Pollo Loco: 10% off senior discounts varies by location (55+)
- Shopping discounts – Kohl’s, Marshall’s, Ross, Walgreens, Stein Mart, and Dress Barn all have discounts that vary by store, so check with the one near you.
3. Home discounts
If you still owe a big chunk of your mortgage, there are options for you. Additionally, you can get help with the repair and upkeep of your home.
- Mortgage reduction – Still unknown to many is a brilliant mortgage program called the Freddie Mac’s Enhanced Relief Refinance (FMERR)that could benefit Americans and reduce their payments by as much as $3,120 per year! You could bet the banks aren’t too thrilled about losing all that profit and might secretly hope homeowners don’t find out before time runs out. This program could end at any given time in 2019, but the good news is that once you’re in, you’re in. If lowering your payments, paying off your mortgage faster, and even taking some cash out would help you, it’s vital you act now and see if you could qualify for this free enhanced relief refinance program.
- Discount on new windows – Thanks to this brilliant windows comparison site, homeowners no longer have to pay an arm and a leg for new windows, but can instead get them at the best price
2. Health & Insurance discounts
Healthcare is a major concern for seniors. Fortunately, there are a number of discounts and special plans available.
- Health insurance – You qualify for a free Medicare quote.
- Drugstore discounts
- CVS Pharmacy (CVS ExtraCare Savings and Rewards program, coupons in-store and online via the ExtraCare Coupon Center. You also earn ExtraBucks Rewards),
- Rite Aid (Rite Aid Rx Savings Program 20% off brand-name and generic prescription drugs),
- Costco Member Prescription Program (save up to 80% at the time of sale),
- Narcup (prescription discount card is free and save up to 50% on FDA approved drugs),
- Walgreens Prescription Savings Club (exclusive discounts and special offers with your card. Membership fee $20/person or $35/household annually),
- Walmart Pharmacy ($4 refills for generics, branded drugs, and even pet medications).
1. Discounts on day-to-day activities
There are numerous discounts on things that you do on a regular basis.
- Farm Fresh (5% discount Tuesdays and Thursdays if you’re 55+)
- Hy-Vee (depending on location will usually offer 5% discount on Tuesdays and Wednesdays; some stores set age to 65+)
- Fred Meyer (10% senior discount on the first Tuesday of every month)
- New Seasons Market (10% discount every Wednesday)
- Compare Food Supermarket (10% discount in participating locations, get in touch with your local store to find out more)
- Piggly Wiggly (varying discounts at participating locations)
- Fry’s Food (10% discount on the first Wednesday of every month to all seniors with VIP card)
- Harris Teeter (5% on Thursdays age 60+ when presenting VIC card, no discount for fuel, pharmacy purchases, tickets and gift cards)
- Cell Phone plans
- AT&T (age 65+, $29.99 per month, 200 anytime minutes, and 500 for evenings and weekends),
- T-Mobile ($70 a month age 55+, which gives you 2 lines with unlimited talk, text and LTE data)
- Verizon Nationwide (65 Plus Plan, $29.99 includes 200 minutes and unlimited text messaging, it also comes with 2GB of internet so you can browse your favorite websites from your phone. Keep in mind, however, that this plan is not available for new Verizon customers)
- Consumer Cellular (plan that includes unlimited talk for $30)
- Public Transportation – Many bus and train operators offer discounts for seniors. Rail service, Amtrak will give over 65s a 10% discount on tickets, and Greyhound will save you 5%. 65-years old and over can score 10% with Trailways.
- SuperCuts ($2 off the regular adult price, generally age 60, but this may vary by location),
- Great Clips ($3 off a regular hair cut for seniors that are 60 or older),
- MasterCuts (age 60+, 20% discount on all salon services and hair care products, Monday – Thursday only with senior discount card).
Believe it or not, this is just the tip of the iceberg of available senior discounts. For almost any activity you can envision, there is probably a senior discount available. You can take advantage of having been around a while by enjoying discounts just for seniors. You can use them to save a good amount of money. So take advantage and enjoy!