According to health experts, there’s a hidden danger lurking in frozen pizzas. If you guessed salt, you’d be right. That’s not the only danger, though. Frozen pizzas are also loaded with a ton of fat!
The folks at Eat This, Not That! have put together a list (in no particular order) of the 10 unhealthiest frozen pizzas found at your local grocery store.
The next time you’re out doing some shopping, you won’t be tempted to pick up one of these and put it in your cart.
Continue reading to find out if your favorite pizza is on the list.
10. Tombstone Original 4 Meat Pizza
This pizza has more than one processed meat, so it should be no surprise that it is unhealthy. But, just how unhealthy is it? Well, the nutritional data of one Tombstone Original 4 Meat pizza does the explaining itself.
- 1,480 calories
- 72 grams of fat (32 g saturated fat)
- 3,640 milligrams of sodium
- 140 grams of carbs (8 g fiber, 16 g of sugar)
- 68 grams of protein.
To make matters worse, this pizza still has a ton of sodium even after Nestlé USA announced in 2015 that it would reduce salt by 10% in many of its frozen pizzas, including the Tombstone brand.
9. Screamin’ Sicilian Brazen Buffalo
The Screamin’ Sicilian Brazen Buffalo pizza is a spicy buffalo chicken pie with more than twice the recommended amount of sodium the American Heart Association says the average person should consume daily!
- 5,200 milligrams of sodium
- 124 grams of carbs (8 g of fiber and 8 g of sugar)
- 72 grams of protein
If you think having just one slice won’t hurt, think again. One slice of this pizza contains a whopping 1,300 milligrams of sodium!
8. California Pizza Kitchen Bbq Chicken Pizza
Nestlé USA announced back in 2015 that it would be reducing salt by 10% in many of its frozen pizzas, including California Pizza Kitchen (plus DiGiorno and Tombstone– two other brands on this list). This may have led people to believe this pizza is a healthier option, but that is not the case.
- 880 calories
- 32 grams of fat (16 g saturated fat, 1 g trans fat)
- 1,940 milligrams of sodium
- 101 grams of carbs (4 g fiber, 27 g sugar)
- 47 grams of protein
Perhaps the one good thing about this pizza is that it’s topped with grilled chicken. Still, it’s not enough to balance out all the negatives associated with this pie.
7. Red Baron Classic Crust Four Cheese Pizza
Ahh, cheese pizza– the healthier way to eat America’s favorite food. At least that’s what some may assume. However, the Red Baron Classic Crust Four Cheese Pizza has proven us wrong.
You would think that because this pizza has no meat toppings, it would be a bit healthier. On the contrary, it’s loaded with calories, fat and sodium.
- 1,520 calories
- 68 grams of fat (36 g saturated fat)
- 2,880 milligrams of sodium
- 160 grams of carbs (8 g fiber, 32 g sugar)
- 64 grams of protein
6. DiGiorno Bacon Me Crazy Pizza
Yes, DiGiorno makes some delicious pizzas. Unfortunately, it also makes some really unhealthy pizzas too. Coming in at number six on the list is the DiGiorno Bacon Me Crazy pizza.
This pie has a ton of sodium and fat! 3,680 milligrams of sodium and 84 grams of fat, to be exact. And, by the way– 40 of those fat grams come from saturated fat!
More nutritional data:
- 136 grams of carbs (8 g fiber, 12 g sugar)
- 80 grams of protein
5. Celeste Pizza for One, Sausage and Pepperoni
Okay, so a personal pizza can’t be all that unhealthy, right? After all, its portion sizes are quite small. Well, that may be the case, but those portion sizes have nothing to do with the pizza’s overall nutritional content.
- 400 calories
- 19 grams of fat (9 g saturated fat)
- 900 milligrams of sodium
- 47 grams of carbs (2 g fiber, 3 g sugar)
- 10 grams of protein.
The only good things about this pizza are that it contains no trans fat at all and, because it’s a pizza for one, “you won’t go back for seconds,” The Daily Meal wrote on its website.
4. Tombstone Original Supreme Pizza
Here’s yet another Tombstone Original pizza that ranks as one of the unhealthiest pizzas sold in America. Although the Tombstone Original Supreme pizza is topped with healthy goodies like olives, onions and peppers, it’s also topped with processed meats and, as you will see, is high in sodium.
- 1,360 calories
- 28 grams of saturated fat, no trans fat
- 3,200 milligrams of sodium
- 140 grams of carbs
- 16 grams of sugar
- 60 grams of protein.
3. Red Baron Thin and Crispy Pepperoni Pizza
Although this pizza’s crust is thin and is a healthier option than Red Baron’s classic crust options, it’s still high in calories, sodium, fat, and sugar.
- 1,170 calories
- 60 grams of fat (30 grams of saturated fat, 0 grams of trans fat)
- 3,030 milligrams of sodium
- 114 grams of carbs (6 grams of fiber, 27 grams of sugar)
- 45 grams of protein
2. DiGiorno Croissant Crust Three Meat
According to an article published by Yahoo!, the DiGiorno Croissant Crust Three Meat pizza is the one frozen pizza you should never buy. Why?
Well, although its crust is light and flaky, “this pizza is high in calories, sodium, saturated fat, and carbs and the ingredient list is really long, with mostly processed ingredients,” Ilyse Schapiro MS, RD, CDN, told Yahoo!
“Anyone who is sodium-sensitive or who has high blood pressure should avoid this pizza,” Schapiro added.
- 2,050 calories
- 110 grams of fat (50 g saturated fat, 0 g trans fat)
- 4,200 milligrams of sodium
- 180 grams of carbs (10 g fiber, 20 g sugar)
- 85 grams of protein
1. Stouffer’s Three Meat French Bread Pizza
Nothing comes closer to home than Stouffer’s, right? Well, maybe when it comes to taste but definitely not when it comes to healthy cooking. That’s because Stouffer’s Three Meat French Bread pizza is loaded with sodium, fat, and carbs.
- 440 calories
- 25 grams fat (9 g saturated fat)
- 1,070 milligrams sodium
- 40 grams of carbs (3 g fiber, 5 g sugar)
- 18 grams of protein
The pizzas on the list are high in calories, fat, sodium, and carbs, and some also contain trans fat. The author advises readers to be aware of the nutritional content of these frozen pizzas and to consider healthier options when grocery shopping.