11 Potentional Fire Hazards in Your Home

4 min read

Taking a serious look at the home, we see the potential fire hazards in many areas. Thousands of fires in the U.S. start from inside the home. If people were more aware of simple hazards, many fires would not have started in the first place, and many lives would not have been lost.

Continue reading to learn what things in your home should be cleaned frequently to avoid a fire. We also explore the solutions that will make your home safer and lives more comfortable. So, let’s see what needs to be cleaned up!

11. Dryer Lint

To reduce the risk of fire, it is best to clean the lint trap in your dryer every time you use it. Clean the interior of the dryer frame also to remove clogs and lint. Lint is highly flammable, and mixing excess heat with the flammable lint is a disaster risk. Your dryer also works more efficiently when it is clear of lint.

10. Ignoring Dust

Wouldn’t you know it–the build-up of dust is a fire hazard! This is especially so if the dust gathers around your electrical plugs and outlets, and floor heaters. So vacuum regularly and significantly reduce the risk of a fire in your home.

9. Don’t Forget To Clean the Chimney

Throughout the year, your chimney collects a ton of air-borne garbage. Raccoon’s nest, dust and broken off mortar are just some of the unwanted fire hazards stashed in your chimney. A build-up of creosote is also one of the causes of chimney fires.

You should schedule a professional chimney sweep once per year. The National Protection Association recommends it. And always start your fireplace with an approved starter and not kerosene, or you may be courting disaster.

8. The Stove’s Range Hood

Our ovens and stovetops are the sources of many fires, but the range hood can be just as disastrous. Grease built upon the vent hood filter over time can drip on your stovetop and ignite a fire.

Before you know it, a small fire can potentially spread to cabinets, then engulf your kitchen. Keep your family and your home safe by cleaning what many people forget to clean.

7. Toaster Crumbs

The crumbs from your toasted bread or bagel left at the bottom of the toaster can potentially catch fire the next time you toast. Your toast will toast along with your whole kitchen. The toast crumbs are kindling that can light up with excessive heat.

So, if your toaster has a removable tray, empty it now and wash it with soap and water. If it doesn’t have a tray, unplug it, and empty the crumbs by tipping the toaster to one side.

6. Rodents in the Home

Pests don’t come to mind when you think of fire hazards, do they? But if you invite them into your home by unhygienic surroundings, they may take up residence. Mice make nests out of straw or paper, and if they do this in your walls, you could be in for some trouble.

Plus, they could gnaw at your electrical wiring until their covering is gone. Get rid of them by setting traps and removing all temptation of food and garbage lying around.

5. Air Conditioners

Well, who would have thought that the cool, refreshing air conditioning could burn your house down? Unfortunately, it is possible, but you can reduce that risk with cleaning and maintenance.

The wiring in the unit is where the problem is. Those broken wires that come about due to wear and tear. A broken wire is not so dangerous because the current is not flowing.

A partially broken wire still has power flowing with resistance. This can cause overheating and which can potentially start a fire. Get a professional to clean and maintain your AC regularly to keep your cool going.

4. Your Outdoor Grill

Grills are prone to fires, especially in the summer months. If you don’t clean up and store your grill carefully after use, you could see some fire action. Grease build-up can cause a greasy fire eruption, so ensure that you wipe down your grill after each use. Also, back yard cooking often has leftover charcoal.

Ensure all embers are out by throwing water on them. You should see no orange glow as any evidence of fire. If you need to hose that fire to extinguish it, then that’s what you should do!

3. Old Unwashed Rags

Rags used to stain furniture should not be thrown in a corner in the garage or basement. Spontaneous combustion can occur when there is a chemical reaction between certain oil-based stainers and cotton.

Fire experts advise that these rags are placed in a tight lid metal can with some water and a high-quality soap for at least three days to release the chemicals. After that, they can be disposed of.

2. Your Hair Dryer

If you frequently use your hairdryer, debris and dust build-up can cause the machine to malfunction. If the dryer itself smells like burning hair or it shocks you, take no chance. You need to clean it or replace it. The power cord can also overheat, which will lead to melting, a fire or an explosion.

1. Your Lawn Mower

Typically, people put away the lawnmower after use without cleaning it. Grass and other debris are stuck in the mower deck and can ignite. Especially in hot, summer months.

And besides, fuel vapors end up in the hot muffler and cause added risks. So be sure to clean your machines properly after use to prevent this mishap. You don’t want to lose your mower nor injure yourself.

Many things can go wrong when we don’t maintain whatever tools we use to carry out our daily lives. Put yourself at ease by getting in the habit of frequently cleaning the things listed above.

Finally, a Way to Charge Your Phone, AirPods, and Apple Watch - All at Once!


40% off



Put Your Phone Down on the Table and It Charges! No Pad, No Plugs! Is It Magic?


40% off




  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Flipboard
  • Google